There are different types of sunflower oil available and they all have various levels of quality associated with each one. Although it is the price that may affect many of your decisions you may want to consider other factors when you are searching for good ingredients. When it comes to sunflower oil there are certain clues to indicate whether it is a good quality ingredient or not.
These are the specifications that indicate a good quality sunflower oil.
- Appearance. The colour and transparency is the first and most obvious factor that will indicate the quality of the product. When the quality is good the liquid will be a golden yellow colour when it is at room temperature. This golden yellow liquid will also be clear. You should be able to see through it. It should not be foggy because that might indicate that it is not pure.
- Taste. When you taste it the sunflower oil should not be rancid.
- Odour. It is fairly odourless so there should not be a bad odour. Do a frying test to further check for odour. You can test the quality by frying the sunflower oil. When it is heated at 180 degrees Celsius there should be no objectionable smell.
- Accreditation. Check on the label whether there is any association that has given the product an endorsement. A good endorsement would be one from the Heart and Stroke Foundation so the logo would be on the label. This would indicate that the product has been approved by the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
- Additives. A good quality sunflower oil should be free of additives and also free of allergens because it is extracted from the sunflower seeds and triple refined. It can, however, still be stored for twenty four months when it is under the ideal conditions from the date of production if it is in a sealed container. To ensure this the product should be kept in cool conditions away from direct sunlight. It should also not stored near a heat source like an oven.
- Acidic content. A good sunflower oil is free from mineral and added extraneous organic acids because it is pure.
- Fat content. Check the label again to see what the fat levels of the product is. It should have the correct balance of fats namely it is good if it is high in polyunsaturated fat. It would also be ideal if it is low in cholesterol because this is a feature of 100% pure sunflower oil.
As a consumer you have many products to choose from but not all of them are the same. It is good to be aware of how a product is made and what ingredients it contains. Many cooking oil manufacturers take shortcuts and may compromise on the ingredients to make it a cheaper product. They may simply be chasing the sale but cheaper is not always better. Consider products that are made from good ingredients and that are wholesome. This could be beneficial to your lifestyle and the overall health of your family and guests.
Our core focus at Golden Fry is to provide Sunflower Oil, Palm Oil and Frying Oil in bulk to Restaurants, Take-Aways, Food Manufacturers, Caterers, Wholesalers, Supermarkets and Spaza Shops. Contact us on E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: +27 11 948 7909.